Friday, February 24, 2017

After College: My Interview Experience #1

My search for a job after graduation has been quite...interesting.  When I first got emailed for a job interview, I was super excited. It was a job within the public relations field, entry level, and the ad said they were looking for recent grads. I thought it was the perfect opportunity. At least, until I got there.

I drove 3 hours to get to the company. It was in a city right outside of Atlanta, and as I drove into the parking lot everything seemed so great, and I tried to imagine myself working there. That completely changed once I found the offices. When I walked in, with portfolio in hand, I was given a chart from the receptionist, and was told to write out my resume. I sat down on a couch in the waiting area with 3-4 other girls, and realized it was actually two companies sharing one part of the building. A tall man came out, and called someone, and they went to right side of the offices. After a few minutes they came back out shook hands, and the same man then went to the left side. Soon my name was called. I said, "Hello", then shook his hand. After we sat within an office, he told me about the company and asked me a few questions about the chart I filled out. After 5 minutes, it was over. He didn't even look at my portfolio. He wasn't unkind per say, but I found out I had been lied to. 

The post about the job was about public relations (writing, publications, social media), and said that training was provided. At the interview I found out it was really Sales. They hired recent graduates so they could sell products like cable tv packages within a "vendor location" aka Sam's Club.  You had to drive all over Atlanta to sell products, and only get paid minimum wage. Possibly commission as well. If that's what they were hiring for, why not just say that in the job description? Why be so deceptive? I had driven 3 hours for a five minute interview, and it was for a position I didn't even apply to. I left the place with such a bad vibe. I learned my lesson though. I avoided every similar job description after that. I felt so scammed. As I drove the 3 hours back home, I told myself I would never do it again.

Well, that was my first experience with interviews outside of college. My next one ended up with me in the ER!

Well until next time,

Lisa 

P.S. Beware of companies that sound similar to “Looking for entry-level xxxx, to fill blah blah. Recent graduates apply, No experience necessary, will train. Looking to fill (insert bulleted list of claimed positions).

No comments:

Post a Comment