Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Book Review: "The Short Forever" by Stuart Woods

The Short Forever, is a mystery about an ex cop turned attorney (and investigator), who had a bit of an adventure in England.

The summary states: " The unflappable Stone Barrington comes face to face with two men whose lives are wrapped in shadows and lies-and who both still feel the sting of betrayal they can never forget."

"Hired by an odd client previously unknown to him, Stone arrives in London on a mission he thinks he understands, but doesn't. Soon he finds himself not only out of his territory, but out of depth as well. Stone is baffled by the behavior of both his quarry and his client, and his life is further complicated by two, possibly three murders and the affectionate attentions of two former lovers. When the intelligence services of several countries become involved, he can only hang on for a wild ride and hope for a not-too-bumpy landing."-The Short Forever-

Review: This book was good! I was actually surprised I liked it as much as I did, since I am not used to reading about older characters (they're around their 30's and 40's+). This story had so many twists and shocks in it, there were times where I had to pause and think What!

I have mixed feelings on the characters. I do like the protagonist, and I know characters have their faults and flaws to make them more real and relatable. But, there is just something I didn't like about the female characters. Honestly, I didn't like them at all. I had similar feelings about Stone as well at times. It is most likely due to a clash of values. Maybe even because the author is male (when it came to the women).

I really liked the writing style of the author. It was more simplistic, and not sugary or poetic when it came to the descriptions. I really appreciated that, and I learned a good bit of vocabulary words as well!

All in all, I would recommend this book if you are a fan of mysteries and detectives. It kept me shocked up until the very end.

Rating: 4/5

Note: This is book 8, but can be read alone. I didn't even know it was a part of a series at first.

Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment